Academic lectures and live demonstrations await cattle trade members who attend the 67th annual Texas A&M Beef Cattle Short Course on Aug. 2-4, whether or not that’s in particular person or just about.
“One of the demonstrations we’re excited to offer this year is a new chute-side pregnancy test that gives a result within minutes and is similar to a human pregnancy test except that it uses blood,” stated Jason Cleere, AgriLife Extension beef cattle specialist within the Department of Animal Science and convention coordinator.
Ron Gill, Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service beef specialist and program chief for animal science, demonstrates cattle dealing with at a earlier Beef Cattle Short Course. (Texas A&M AgriLife photograph by Blair Fannin)
The quick course will embody greater than 20 periods masking primary practices, new applied sciences and sizzling subjects. There additionally will probably be six live demonstrations and a commerce present that includes an estimated 140 exhibitors. The complete schedule and different info is offered at https://beefcattleshortcourse.com/.
Cleere stated this yr they’re comfortable to supply the in-person and a digital choice of the quick course hosted by Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service and the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences’ Division of Animal Science at Texas A&M College.
The fee is $210 for in-person attendance and $160 for on-line. The costs go as much as $250 and $200, respectively, after July 27. To register, go to http://tx.ag/BCSC2021 or name 979-845-6931 for extra info.
Particular occasion: 2021 TAMU Ranch Horse Program
Contributors can come early to the occasion and take part within the 2021 TAMU Ranch Horse Program on Aug. 1 from 8 a.m. to three p.m. within the Thomas G. Hildebrand, DVM ’56 Equine Complicated.
The program will present insights into widespread plant toxicities, veterinary care on the ranch, and sound breeding choice selections. Contributors may even hear concerning the historical past of the King Ranch horse program and spend the afternoon on the area with skilled horseman Punk Carter, previous president of the Nationwide Slicing Horse Affiliation and member of the Texas Cowboy Corridor of Fame and NCHA Corridor of Fame.
This occasion is free to all Beef Cattle Short Course individuals or $50 on the door for nonparticipants. To register for it, e-mail Jennifer Zoller, AgriLife Extension horse specialist, or Hanna Galloway, with the Texas A&M Equine Initiative at [email protected].
Beef cattle live demonstrations, workshops
One of many large attracts to the occasion is the power for individuals to see the live demonstrations, Cleere stated, and that can proceed this yr. On the schedule are the next:
- A Fence-Constructing Demonstration will probably be within the O.D. Butler Complicated/Beef Cattle Middle and canopy various kinds of fencing supplies and designs. Contributors can learn to construct pipe and wooden stretch sections and string a number of varieties of wire throughout this demonstration.
- A Brush Busters Demonstration, which is able to present three normal Texas Division of Agriculture persevering with training models, will probably be within the Thomas G. Hildebrand Equine Complicated Area. Contributors will find out about built-in brush management utilizing Brush Busters protocols and gear and cut-stump therapies. This session may even cowl methods to handle and management mesquite, huisache, prickly pear and others.
- A Beef Cattle Enterprise Administration Workshop within the Thomas G. Hildebrand Equine Complicated. Contributors will find out about ranch file holding, know-how improvements resembling blockchains, and tax and administration accounting.
- A Beef Carcass Worth Willpower Workshop is scheduled within the Rosenthal Meat Lab. Presenters will talk about feeder calf to carcass grid, carcass grading, live cattle analysis and grid advertising. They may assessment live video of completed cattle and consider carcasses from the 4 steers, and end up with the lecture “Carcass to Boxed Beef Cuts: Where is the Value?”
- Cattle Dealing with Demonstrations will probably be hosted within the Freeman Area and give attention to creating the handler’s sense about when to use stress and the way a lot stress to use to get cattle to work smoother and with much less stress. Correct cattle trailer loading methods may even be demonstrated.
- Beef Cattle Chute-Aspect Demonstrations will probably be introduced within the Louis Pearce Pavilion. The live animal demonstrations will cowl primary cowherd administration practices, emphasizing Beef High quality Assurance, correct vaccination, castration, dehorning, branding, tagging and blood/tissue assortment for testing. That is the place the brand new, sensible chute-side being pregnant take a look at hitting the market this fall will probably be demonstrated.
Supply: is AgriLife TODAY, which is solely accountable for the data supplied and is wholly owned by the supply. Informa Enterprise Media and all its subsidiaries should not accountable for any of the content material contained on this info asset.