The federal authorities has clarified how short-term foreign employees (TWFs) will attain farms this spring, within the face of necessities to keep in Authorities Licensed Lodging (GAA).
As long as short-term foreign employees journey privately to their farms and may safely full their obligatory 14 day quarantine on-farm, they won’t want to full the three-day keep in a GAA, says Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Meals Canada (AAFC), Marie Claude Bibeau.
“Asymptomatic TFWs will be able to travel directly to their place of quarantine after getting a COVID-19 test at the airport provided they travel by private transportation and are accompanied only by others who travelled with them to Canada. TFWs who will need to travel by public means to a secondary location upon arrival in Canada will be required to stay in a GAA and await the results of their COVID-19 test,” the federal government says.
Bibeau estimates that 95 per cent of short-term foreign employees will likely be in a position to go immediately to farms to quarantine.
Supplied TFWs have an acceptable quarantine plan and protected transportation organized to their place of quarantine, the federal government intends to guarantee employers and TFWs is not going to assume incremental prices related to the three-day quarantine requirement on the level of entry, nonetheless the monetary mechanism to cowl this price will not be but established. Staff may even be supplied with helps on arrival and through their resort keep, Bibeau says.
The federal government additionally commits to:
- Working with provinces to guarantee employers are properly ready to safely welcome and quarantine employees – together with by way of protected journey preparations to their place of quarantine, and with appropriate isolation choices for optimistic/symptomatic employees all through the season;
- Rising and strengthening inspections of employers in (*21*), to guarantee they’re assembly their quarantine obligations and TFW Program necessities associated to working situations and wages, and offering extra schooling for employers on their obligations;
- Funding migrant worker organizations to present direct help to employees affected by COVID-19 for the 2021 season, in addition to working with these organizations to help employees in the course of the arrival course of and all through the season;
- Enhancing the TFW tip line, with the addition of reside brokers in a position to provide providers in a number of languages, who might help employees higher talk conditions of mistreatment or abuse, and offering extra schooling for employees on their rights; and,
- Enhancing coordination with provincial and territorial companions by way of a brand new central level of contact to guarantee accountable authorities are in a position to reply shortly to rising points, together with outbreaks.
As well as to right this moment’s announcement, the Authorities of Canada lately launched a pilot challenge to conduct extra in-depth inspections of employers at larger danger of committing Labour Market Affect Evaluation (LMIA) fraud, and can assess compliance outcomes over the approaching months.