Prime Minister Justin Trudeau introduced the following federal election is about to happen September twentieth, 2021.
With such a decent timeline, it’s anticipated that producer and coverage teams will announce priorities briefly order.
First out of the gate is the Grain Farmers of Ontario, which unveiled its election asks to federal Canadian election candidates on Monday, August 16.
“These asks are specifically designed to promote the sustainability of grain farming in Ontario for the future and to ensure that farmers can continue to do the important work they do to provide safe healthy food and help the environment,” says Brendan Byrne, chair of Grain Farmers of Ontario. “It is vital that candidates in this federal election recognize the value that Ontario grain farmers bring to this country and that they work with us to protect the planet, our local communities, and the healthy food we grow.”
Grain Farmers of Ontario has three asks of candidates and the brand new federal authorities:
Enterprise Danger Administration packages that work for extra farmers:
- Present packages, corresponding to AgriStability, which assist farmers in occasions of disaster, are insufficient and should be improved to guard grain farming households in years the place farm financial sustainability is dramatically impacted.
A low carbon software field for grain farmers that helps Canada obtain web zero aims, together with:
- Confirmed fossil gasoline options for drying grain
- Till these options exist, grain farmers require an exemption on the carbon pricing on gasoline and the promised retroactive rebate on carbon pricing paid so far on gasoline for grain drying.
- Carbon offset market that works for grain farmers
- Clear Fuels Regulation that retains grains aggressive and builds a rising marketplace for Ontario corn and soybeans
- Carbon in fertilizer discount targets primarily based on science
- Environmental actions within the 4Rs program must be half of the measurement.
Defend present markets and discover new markets for grains and oilseeds
- Ontario grains want a stage taking part in subject: with grains imported into Canada that obtain large subsidies and aren’t topic to carbon pricing, and for Ontario grains in international markets with international competitors
- UK/Canada commerce settlement that enables for continued tariff-free entry for grains
- China’s defacto ban on Canada‘s soybean imports eliminated.
“This is the time for candidates to show leadership and their commitment to science-based and evidence-based decision making to ensure the most sustainable, and the most effective, climate change policy and path forward,” says Crosby Devitt, CEO, Grain Farmers of Ontario. “Working with farmers and supporting these asks is acknowledging the importance of sustainable farming and the farm economy that supports this country.”