Her twitter deal with is @MBsoilsleuth for a purpose. Our visitor for as we speak’s RealAg LIVE! is a soil administration specialist with Manitoba Agriculture and Useful resource Improvement.
Marla Riekman joins our host Kara Oosterhuis to speak about all issues soil compaction, what occurs if a downpour arrives at a brilliant dry soil, fertility in a dry yr, and extra.
RealAg LIVE! streams each weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Fb, and Twitter!
- Soil erosion. It’s been actually unhealthy in Southern Alberta. Tillage on the proper time may flip up a little bit of the moist soil and will cease tillage within the second. There’s an enormous BUT with that, in the event you don’t get any rain… you’re hooped.
- Compaction: you’ll be able to’t compact a soil if it has the energy to resist stress (when it’s dry); when there’s moisture down beneath, it could possibly nonetheless be an issue
- Be certain that the tractor is effectively ballasted, ensure the stress from gear is unfold evenly
- Tracks vs tires debate
- Grain carts are getting heavier and heavier
- Lower your axel load each time attainable. Deeper compaction… can’t be mounted. 10 per cent yield loss
- No matter your tire stress is at, there’s a normal rule that the precise stress positioned on the soil is one to 2 psi increased than what your tire stress is.
- For those who can park your tractor on a flat floor, and might get your finger nail beneath… your tire isn’t at a low sufficient stress
- Clay soils usually have a greater means to compress or compact. They’ve received small pore areas and massive pore areas get crushed.
- Water motion?!
- Are you able to do deep tillage to repair the issue? Marla has been dealing with this for 13 years. Within the final yr was her first time to suggest deep tillage as a result of it was a SAND textured soil (that’s uber vital everybody)
- Marla grew up north of Saskatoon and when she began her research at College of Manitoba, “too much water” didn’t make sense.
- Vertisols y’all
- What a couple of downpour on tremendous dry soil? It doesn’t imply that water will transfer in. Then we’ve received a crusty the clown state of affairs after it’s all mentioned and finished
- Soil fertility? Seed security with starter fertilizer. The chance of seedling harm is rather a lot increased in a dry yr. Splitting your fert utility? In all probability a good suggestion
- Is it higher to go over the sector twice although? Slim, with a sprayer, unfold over a wider space won’t monitor the sector as a lot as throughout seeding
- Volatilization: what sort of fertilizer are you placing down? Banding is a-okay. For those who’re broadcasting you should shield it one way or the other or it wants a little bit of rain. By no means depart it on the floor of moist or damp situation soils.
- Each time you’re within the tractor, Marla suggests desirous about what steps you’ll be able to take to lower impacts on the soil. With some pondering forward, the long-term administration choices will actually assist your soil