We’re masking every little thing from reduce worms to thousand kernel weights (and every little thing in between) when contemplating early season canola agronomy.
Mike Hilhorst, develop workforce advisor with Federated Cooperatives Restricted out of Westaskiwin, Alta. joins us for at this time’s RealAg LIVE!
RealAg LIVE! streams each weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Fb, and Twitter!
- North-central Alberta noticed a fairly tough season final yr; sub-soil moisture is off to begin
- Canola remains to be heavy within the rotations!
- Thousand kernel weight of canola seed, extremely suggest taking a look at that; a 3 g TKW can be gentle, a 7 g TKW can be heavy; goal for plant stand
- Consider mortality!
- How deep are you able to seed canola in case you’ve determined to chase moisture? Possibly 1.5 inches to 2 inches, however in case you do get a rain, that wetting entrance takes a lot longer to satisfy up with sub-soil moisture, and it’ll take that for much longer for the seed to rise up
- Weak, spindly vegetation make nice meals for cutworms or wireworms
- Residue? Managing that began final fall. Chopper and spreader tech has come a great distance
- Fertility? Moist or dry yr? “A soil test is the fuel gauge in your truck”
- Sulphur and residual nitrogen.
- Soil pH in northern and central Alberta is verging on 5.0, which will be a difficulty
- Temperature? Mike fairly see 8 to 10 °C whereas seeding.
- Flea beetles… earlier seeded canola appears to not face up to a flea beetle assault in addition to later seeded canola
- Rotation. We most likely can’t stress rotation as a administration instrument sufficient.
- Herbicide carryover. Hold good information. Hold these fields clear to get them began off on the correct foot
- Important weed-free interval: cotyledon to four-leaf says Mike. Extra aggressive than corn however much less aggressive than, say barley.
- Ailments: damping off, rhizoctonia, seedling blight. That goes again to seeding deep…
- Seed therapies
- Cutworms will be devastating. They appear to do higher in sand or sandy-loam soils (simpler for moths to put their eggs)
- Get out and scout!
- Is it value it to “revenge spray”
- Talking of scouting, it’s good to find out your plant stand institution
- Along with illnesses loving a heavy stand, bugs will wish to munch on it too
- Avoiding bias. Having a big pattern measurement is at all times factor, statistically talking. Getting a variety of information factors from excessive and low spots, good and dangerous
- We needed to get round to it someday: clubroot. Sanitation and rotation can go a protracted methods, however compliance must be there
- “Plan the win and see what happens”