If simply the point out of hen wings and hen sandwiches make you hungry, you’re going to need to hop onto this version of RealAg LIVE!
Chicken Farmers of Ontario’s Mike Nailor joins host Shaun Haney for an attention-grabbing dialogue on how the hen worth chain works, how the worth chain tailored to COVID-19 adjustments, and who makes the very best wing flavours.
Don’t miss an episode of RealAg LIVE! A brand new Q&A goes reside, weekdays at 3 pm Japanese!
- Mike is BACK at Chicken Farmers of Ontario
- He’s interim CEO
- Chicken and egg manufacturing
- Eggs and chicks too, then turkeys — there are a number of completely different teams!
- There are about 1,300 hen producers in Ontario
- Slight uptick in membership
- Value to entry is usually a barrier
- There’s a new entrant program
- As soon as accepted, there’s coaching and mentorship
- And a mortgage of quota (14,000 quota models wanted. 4,000 have to be purchased). Then “paid” again over 15 years
- Finest hen wings? Sizzling butter from the Fats Duck in Guelph (sambal seasoning)
- Competitors between proteins? Develop the (meat) pie!
- However positively compete with beef, pork, and plant-based protein
- Plant-based isn’t the identical focus in hen circles vs beef
- However provide administration (and its pillars, together with commerce) and COVID-19 dominated this 12 months
- What’s the trail ahead in COVID?
- The livestock business was in the identical boat as most others and had not deliberate for a human illness outbreak
- Expertise and planning for a livestock-based outbreak was time properly spent, nonetheless
- Development line is up and has been up for a while, and COVID has not modified that, BUT how individuals eat hen is altering
- KFC, Mary Brown’s Chicken, meals service, and many others., had further hen, however retail was brief
- How meals was packaged modified (bigger flats of eggs, bigger wings, bigger cuts of hen)
- CP-TPP and UMSCA have allowed for extra entry to Canada’s market, and that added provide isn’t regulated as to when it occurs, so can disrupt provide
- Spent hens can enter Canada with a really low or no tariff, and a few was coming throughout the border as spent hens (low high quality) however was actually hen
- Chicken barns want warmth — how does the carbon tax impression farmers?
- As a result of of provide administration, there IS a way to replace the margin nevertheless it’s a lag between now and when the patron value index updates
- Finest quick meals hen sandwich? Popeye’s! Or was it Mary Browns?