Anybody else feeling like spring has sprung and the strain is on? At this time’s visitor can reply all these early-season cropping decisions that you might have, when you’re feeling the strain to get within the discipline.
At this time’s RealAg LIVE! options our resident agronomist Peter “Wheat Pete” Johnson who chats with host Shaun Haney about early season issues.
RealAg LIVE! streams each weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Fb, and Twitter!
- Mom Nature will not be terribly equitable
- Slightly moist in Ontario, too dry on the Prairies
- Corn is getting slammed into the bottom (and by slammed we imply planted) within the U.S., about 10 per cent forward of schedule
- Some is rolling in Ontario, too. Lighter soil, Parkhill space
- If you transfer to the heavy clays, April was dry, however the true clays, they want warmth and dry earlier than they’re actually match
- Timing that pre-seed burn down? It’s a problem with the cool to chilly nights
- It’s Might. Sorry, IT’S MAY! Don’t panic, but it surely positive does really feel prefer it’s time to get rolling
- Crop costs are up, however enter costs are going up too (together with land lease)
- It’s Might 4th — that spring wheat ought to have already been within the floor! There was alternative earlier. Pedal to the metallic now
- Put to an honest depth: 1″ to 1.5″ (if there isn’t moisture at 2- and even 3-inches deep)
- Generally deeper to moisture, with no rainstorm, can do exactly high-quality
- Double crop soybeans? It’s beginning to look actually engaging with a quick advancing wheat crop and good crop costs
- March was soooo heat. April general was about common
- There are some nice movies on this in our Soybean College library (see it right here)
- With robust costs, don’t be tempted to throw all the things on the crop — you continue to have to scout
- Keep in mind the beneficials
- Corn going into an overgrown cereal rye cowl crop: there’s a lot rye there, is it going to soak up the residual herbicide and forestall it from working? It’s a threat.
- Maintain the groceries to this crop!
- Micros, too
- Tissue assessments present low magnesium however with out signs, do you attempt to right it? Pete doesn’t suppose it’ll pay
- When it’s dry, boron tissue take a look at is extra probably low
- And don’t piss away the margin
- Powdery mildew might probably even pay this yr!
- Need extra? Take a look at Wheat Pete’s Phrase each Wednesday