Understanding what ailments may be lurking on your seed or within the soil, realizing what your herbicide historical past is, and precisely why inoculants are low cost insurance coverage, will set you up for a profitable pulse rising season.
For immediately’s RealAg LIVE! host Kara Oosterhuis is joined by Sherrilyn Phelps, agronomy supervisor at Saskatchewan Pulse Growers.
RealAg LIVE! streams each weekday at 3 pm E on Youtube, Fb, and Twitter!
- Double test your herbicide historical past
- Get your seed tons examined for ailments so you’ll be able to decide what seed remedy to make use of
- Determine your seeding fee! Know the seed dimension so you’ll be able to calculate seeding fee in keeping with optimum plant density
- Seed-borne ailments: ascochyta, botrytis, anthracnose. Soil-borne ailments: Fusarium, rhizoctonia, aphanomyces
- Have your inoculant able to go! Keep in mind that they’re alive, they’re a residing organism in order that they want totally different care
- Two parts to residual herbicides: while you go to recrop, residual carryover, and utilizing herbicides which have residual properties that can assist
- Components that have an effect on break-down of residual herbicides or herbicides: heat, moisture, microbial exercise
- Contemplating dry situations, ought to moisture be chased and pulses seeded deep? How deep is just too deep?
- Seeding charges! Hit that focus on inhabitants, pulses don’t get bigger and fill house if there’s not sufficient of them there
- Pulses are poor rivals with weeds too. Essential weed free interval. For each moisture vitamins
- Phosphorus is essential for protein and N-fixation. It’s not as low-input of a crop as we expect
- Moist situations. The A phrase. Aphanomyces can’t be handled with a fungicide. It’s soil-borne and impacts roots and fungicides simply gained’t get down there. Seed therapies additionally don’t management it, there are solely two that suppress it
- Not simply aphanomyces to think about although: fusarium, pythium
- Faba beans are immune to aphanomyces they usually like wetter soils in order that they’re a nice different!
- There’s some breeding making headway on the aphanomyces entrance for peas, however not for lentils
- Analysis: including in different crops like canola (glucosinolates) or oats into the rotation
- Over the past seven years there’s been annual surveys for root rots and aphanomyces in soil
- Aphanomyces is extensively distributed throughout soil zones, there aren’t actually any hotspots
- Ascochyta species for totally different pulse crops are totally different races. It usually is available in simply earlier than the reproductive interval
- Inoculants. There may very well be background ranges of rhizobia species in your fields, particularly should you’ve grown pulses earlier than, however they aren’t essentially going to successfully repair nitrogen. It’s low cost insurance coverage
- Soybean: Bradyrhizobium japonicum is the particular species that can symbiotically repair N
- How about inoculant formulation? Granular, liquid, or peat?
- Spore load ranges for aphanomyces? Nonetheless set at about 100 oospores per gram of soil. Dr. Syama Chatterton is working on this. Add fusarium into the combo and the issue compounds
- Fenugreek! It’s a spice and a legume!
- Any bugs on the radar for this yr? Pea leaf weevil, aphids on faba beans?