When soil moisture circumstances are prime of thoughts in late March, it most likely means there’s means an excessive amount of or not almost sufficient.
For 2021, enormous swaths of the Prairies are dry to very dry, and that’s received loads of farmers and agronomists working on potential methods for a dry seeding season. From yield targets and fertilizer charges, to seeding depth and selection choice, Warren Ward, with the Canola Council of Canada, joins host Shaun Haney for this RealAg LIVE!
RealAg LIVE! goes weekdays at 3 pm E on Youtube, Fb, and Twitter!
- Feeling like an early spring, and perhaps a dry one; there’s loads of pink on the soil moisture map
- Canola markets are good…
- Begin clear, good crop competitors issues
- Early weeds eat yield!
- Don’t essentially skip it, please
- Be cautious of pre-emerge, too
- Is it too early to speak about chasing moisture?
- Seeding deeper than an inch provides threat, later season seeding perhaps go somewhat deeper, however there are many issues
- What truly is “fit soil”?
- OK, however what about variability?
- Making the decision to attend for moisture
- Danger administration technique
- Extremely early seeding for old-crop harvest is being talked about with these loopy costs
- Plant stand numbers matter. The extra vegetation, the much less branching, the sooner maturity
- Winter is simply too harsh for winter canola in many of the winter canola on the market
- Fertilizer methods for 2021: A fertility plan begins lengthy earlier than seeding
- Warning on seed-placed fertilizer in a dry yr
- Don’t push these seed-placed limits!
- Dryness could have implications on fert charges, too
- Yield targets could must be pulled again
- However, if we begin dry and it turns to extra beneficial circumstances, you’ll have shorted the crop
- Perhaps take into consideration a top-dress plan
- What about weed management in a dry yr? Fall-applied Edge (or different pre-emergent herbicides with residual), will it activate?
- Carryover threat expectations rely on moisture from final yr and in the autumn
- Wall to wall to wall canola …will it occur?
- Rotations have been tight and have been for some time, and we have now illness challenges to point out for it
- Selecting a clubroot-resistant selection is nice prevention
- Clubroot will possible present up lengthy earlier than you discover it
- Rotation consideration issues very a lot with resistant varieties, too
- 25 million tonnes by 2025 — features want to return from bushels per acre no more acres
- Fertility may be the important thing right here, to features