The crops are flying. Not actually, however the winter wheat is rising quick!
This week’s Wheat Pete’s Phrase has explanations of what rising diploma day accumulation will do for winter wheat, plus the downsides of the hotter climate in Ontario. Additionally, our host Peter “Wheat Pete” Johnson explains what he means by “slow release rain” and WAMLEGS.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s stated? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e-mail him at [email protected]
- Holy cow! The wheat is zooming by means of the development phases.
- Rising diploma days for wheat for March and April to this point? Even throughout the province (sorry north, not you), over 200 GDD! Versus the ordinary 40 on common. 500% of regular warmth for some areas
- London is at 250% of warmth for the wheat crop!
- Big implications for development regulator timing
- Too early for corn, frost seeded cereals are rising, manure is already unfold….twiddling thumbs time? Relaxation, deal with some repairs tasks
- Western Canada bought some snow (slow release rain was very wanted)
- March 15 spring barley went in, April 9, it’s rising
- Wheat seeded on March 29 in Saskatchewan, not up but, however has germinated
- Don’t fear, snow received’t harm that early wheat
- Cowl crop oats are throughout the place. Some survived the winter. Maintain up!
- They give the impression of being wonderful….do you are taking it for forage? For certain you may, however don’t maintain out for grain
- What are the down sides of this heat climate? Pink clover under-seeded in wheat and alfalfa — frost injury is probably going, if these wee vegetation are nicely grown
- Some concern for fruit bushes, too — Could frost can occur and wipe out flowers
- Bean and corn row syndrome in wheat, it’s displaying you the place the phosphorus is!
- Manganese deficiency vs. chilly damage injury, know the distinction!
- Early planted wheat is hitting development stage 30 and meaning get that development regulator on should you plan on utilizing one (extra on the why or why to not use one subsequent week)
- Additionally, excessive N demand is now! When you have been ready to place the N on, now’s the time
- When you’re a cut up utility farmer, simply keep on with the plan, you’re good
- 28% N on with chilly temps? Don’t fear, simply not on white frost on leaves
- Annual weeds are germinating too (150 to 200 GDD is the magic vary)
- Ragweed and pigweed isn’t there but
- Rule of three: above 3 levels C (or extra), for three nights (earlier than, on the day of utility, and the night time after). Bump that water quantity, too
- Winter annuals in all probability ought to have been finished by now
- Might do PGR and herbicide in identical combine
- Maintain off on the fungicide for now
- Septoria is displaying up, sure, however cool nights maintain it in examine for now
- Manure on wheat? N credit score? Unfold sample issues, y’all. Higher on corn
- If it stays dry and cool, farmers will wish to do some work, know your combine order
— BASF Canada Agricultural Options (@BASFAgSolutions) June 25, 2020