Early spring climate has left some wheat feeling the burn of merchandise utilized earlier than chilly nights in Ontario. Out west, many farmers are nonetheless hoping for moisture earlier than getting rolling for the #plant21 season.
For this week’s Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson reminds listeners to take fifteen minutes out of their day to cellphone a neighbour or fellow farmer, simply to catch up. You’ll each profit, for positive. Plus, Johnson solutions questions on starter fertilizer in beans, fungicide choices on wheat, and extra.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e-mail him at [email protected]
- The race is on — vaccines vs. variants of the COVID virus
- Get your shot! About 30% of Canadians have gotten one dose. That’s progress, however we have to push by way of this (final?) lockdown and keep vigilant
- There’s a whole lot of stress and pressure on the market — once you’ve bought the auto steer on, decide up that cellphone and name a neighbour (keep in mind Wheat Pete’s Fifteen? Let’s maintain it rolling)
- Oh man, soybean costs proper?
- China might announce the primary inhabitants decline since 1949
- China has ALWAYS been rising. What occurs in the event that they cease?
- Principally, simply be sure you’re locking in revenue
- Wheat Faculties! Verify ’em out
- Ellen Sparry, C&M Seeds, honoured as an influential lady in Canadian agriculture! Congratulations!
- (Plus, Wheat Pete is a grandpa once more! Welcome, little man)
- The 21, 22, 23, and 26 of April all registered beneath freezing in some unspecified time in the future
- Elevation can play a task, typically surprisingly so, when making use of product forward of a chilly night time (or nights)
- What about cool temps and soybeans and corn? Cool and dry is much less of a priority than cool and moist
- If it’s match, let ‘er rip!
- 85% of Mexico is in a drought
- (So is Western Canada)
- Ontario acres — oats and barley tanked
- Spring wheat has held on, winter wheat did OK
- Where did the acres go? To soybeans and corn (sigh)
- Fall rye and winter wheat doing fine
- Fall N in wheat?
- No powdery mildew or septoria now? Don’t add the fungicide!
- Starter fert on beans? Do I would like it? (Try this story on it)
- Glyphosate is glyphosate, however be sure you’ve bought the suitable formulation for those who’re mixing with dicamba
- Does a pre-seed burn down pay in a dry 12 months? YES, if the weeds there
- Low boron tissue check in wheat? It’s been dry, which can maintain boron ranges down, and not often a difficulty. You may’t construct ranges (it leaches)
Satellite tv for pc soil moisture anomalies from 2020 & 2021. Dry circumstances by way of Canadian Prairies and the Northern Nice Plains to begin out the rising season. Purple colors point out soil moisture beneath the long run common for this time of 12 months. #cdnag pic.twitter.com/lklZVLUEtP
— Catherine Champagne (@cathchampagne) April 26, 2021