Summer time is winding down and many farmers are gearing up for the subsequent stage of harvest. For some, meaning swathing or timing a pre-harvest go, and for others it means getting the quilt crop seed down.
For this episode of Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson has just a few cautions for late-summer pesticide purposes, a reminder concerning the telephone system, and a scorching tip about scouting useless soybeans.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to deal with or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s stated? Go away him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e-mail him at [email protected]
- Tell us straight if ever there is a matter with the telephone system by another means than the precise telephone system, please
- Do Extra Ag is fundraising for Ag Speak
- UK record barley crop: 14.2 tonne/hectare. That’s 264 bu/ac!
- PEI is having a stellar rising season with 4 tonnes/ac of wheat
- How is it that Ontario is now considerably over-dry? It was so moist in July!
- August has been so dry, and can see the tire tracks within the crop
- Very wilted crops, pod and seed abortion taking place. August rain makes the soybean crop
- One subject to the subsequent: aphids in soybeans, western bean cutworm in corn, now spider mites in soybeans. R6 to reap is what number of days? Dimethoate has a 30 day pre-harvest interval. Soybeans will translocate it out of the stem, so yield impression ought to be minimal now.
- Lifeless crops sticking up by way of the soybean crop may very well be stem canker, root rot — don’t assume it’s white mould. Diagnose the issue appropriately.
- Listen within the dry bean crop! Pre-harvest software timing is quickly approaching. 90 per cent pod yellow is the goal. Bear in mind time of day for Eragon, too (warmth of the day).
- Wheat seed germination take a look at got here again at 90 per cent. Check that seed.
- Drought and dormancy: try this Wheat Faculty.
- 100 seeds, brown paper towel, put within the backside of a pan, damp, and go away it for 7 to 10 days (can’t take a look at vigour!)
- Falling quantity impression on seed vigour? The reply ought to be no. Except it’s gone very far into sprouting and used up some starch. Ship it for a take a look at. Get a vigour take a look at
- Broadcast wheat into soybeans. Harvest appears early, drill it in, in glorious situations.
- Wheat on the floor will probably be eaten by slugs and birds. Additionally, do NOT use handled seed if you’ll broadcast into soybeans, because it may find yourself within the soybean pattern. Bunt is a matter with untreated seed, too.
- How late are you able to seed oats and when do you turn to cereal rye? Want 45 days for oats
- Fungicide for rust on oats: once more, pre-harvest interval. If the oats are in about 30 days, it means you need to pull the set off in the event you plan to go in (assuming 60 days of development left)
- Hay dryers on hay to ship it west?
- Cows East is a factor. See extra right here
- Weeds are forward of the quilt crop in some fields. If they’ll seed, you need to clip it. Herbicide gained’t be sufficient
- Late flush of pigweed and lamb’s quarters — time the burn-down earlier than they set seed (4 to 6 weeks from germination)
- 15 bushel benefit in 13 day window! Woot!