What’s the weirdest color you’ve ever seen a crop flip?
This week in Ontario, at least one farmer is reporting very darkish straw the place the wheat crop was touched by frost in late Might. An agronomist additionally experiences purple stems in one other space. What the heck is occurring right here?
By no means worry, as Peter “Wheat Pete” Johnson is right here with this week’s Phrase, and he’ll clarify what the heck is occurring to wheat stems, plus provide up not one however two crop alerts: one for soybean aphids, and the opposite for white mould.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s stated? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e mail him at [email protected]
- Smack upside the pinnacle time! Carbon penalty is the mistaken time period. Residue administration!
- Jess from New Zealand, thanks for reaching out and utilizing Wheat Pete’s 15
- Cowl crops in New Zealand? Whoa!
- It’s WET in Ontario. Drought or dry no extra. We’re on to deluge.
- “Dry weather will scare you to death, but wet weather will starve you to death”
- Waist excessive by the center of July soybeans — however an excessive amount of vegetation and development might be all unhealthy if there’s an excessive amount of moisture. Try this piece on root rots and edible beans.
- Three hours of drizzle and fixed rains means oh man, it’s robust to get wheat out of the sector
- Two weeks earlier than and two weeks after tassel are crucial occasions for sunshine within the corn crop
- Night time time temps have been stable for corn, nevertheless it’s been dreary. Ship the solar!
- Drumheller, Alta., the drought is excessive in Western Canada. One inch of rain complete since seeding. 35+ levels C for a complete week. The wheat crop pollinated, is there hope? There IS as a result of the flag leaf continues to be inexperienced and the pinnacle is inexperienced. It’ll be low yield, however rain can nonetheless add yield within the grain fill interval.
- Chilly or frost at heading had a wild influence. Within the frosted areas 65 bu/ac with darkish straw (additional photosynthate) vs 110 bu/ac common. Yield monitor hit 130 to 140 bu/ac within the good spots
- Purple stems occur when grain fill is finished however there’s nonetheless power being moved up with nowhere to go
- 1.5 kernels/floret vs 2 or 3 in some areas hit by frost
- Lake impact? 10 days sooner than regular. Early wheat normally means decrease yields for Ontario.
- However does early wheat imply double crop beans? It may, and may make up the distinction
- 330 falling quantity (have to be over 250 seconds for millers to make any use of it). 68 pound per bushel take a look at weight in Niagara area. Went to 247 falling quantity due to a weekend of rain. Ouch.
- What’s falling quantity? Watch this video!
- Mixing it off doesn’t work, please don’t do that. You’ll wreck the wheat.
- Corn is in brief provide for feed… change to wheat?
- Plot outcomes: early wheat makes grain, keep in mind. Fungicide plot: Miravis Ace provided up a 8 bu/ac return.
- ALERT! ALERT! ALERT! Soybean aphid numbers are exploding in some areas. When you’ve got threshold numbers you MIGHT should spray twice, largely due to the influence of the spray on beneficials. There’s a new product, Sefina, that’s much less dangerous on beneficials that could be choice
- White mould threat is extremely excessive this yr. If this rain and humidity retains up, get the sprayer rolling. Edible beans, too!
- Too good of development would possibly imply two white mould fungicide merchandise
- Use Sporecaster for soybeans, however for edibles it takes extra interpretation