Just a few key issues are lining up for the corn crop — however they aren’t essentially all good. The western bean cutworm flight and pollination are lining up almost completely, and meaning an elevated danger of gibberella ear rot an infection.
For this episode of Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson discusses one other hit in opposition to the corn crop — smoke and haze — and reviews on some extreme climate fall-out to the corn and soybean crops. Interested by wheat yields? He’s obtained lodged versus standing, and early versus late plots to debate too. Pay attention now or obtain to pay attention within the cab!
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s stated? Go away him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or electronic mail him at [email protected]
- Keep in mind don’t re-enter the sector after an insecticide till after the re-entry interval. Good reminder
- Rutting up the fields to get to the wheat in Chatham-Kent. Wild! 1 in 200 12 months occasion
- Main storm rolled by means of northern and jap Ontario, corn snapped under the ear
- That’s inexperienced snap from excessive winds and hail harm. Beneath the ear means they’re achieved, lifeless
- Just a few damaged stems on soybeans or a number of shredded leaves on corn aren’t essentially going to considerably chunk into yield, however damaged stems and absolutely shredded leaves will
- The primary Ontario Diagnostic Days is up! Discover it right here. It’s a video AND a podcast.
- The Fantastic World of Wheat — huge wheat time. Reviews up into the 170 bu/ac neighbourhood (unconfirmed)
- File confirmed is 181 bu/ac for Ontario
- Loads within the 120s and 130s bu/ac
- There are some unbelievable costs on the market. Wow
- High quality entrance: sprouts! Full on inexperienced sprouts on lodged wheat. Unhealthy information state of affairs
- Niagara, Lambton counties
- Feed is brief, so feed market is robust for off-quality wheat
- Bin the good things! As a result of the grade low cost is steep
- Corn is in brief provide till the ’21 crop comes off
- Straw to maneuver west? There’s an enormous want for feed within the west
- Ontario is awash with straw
- Plot outcomes: 30 kilos extra N in some replicated strip trials, 20 bu/ac extra yield, one other trial, good return and added check weight
- Extra administration, higher check weight
- Chris: clover as excessive because the wheat crop the place there was winter kill. 60 bu/ac to 125 bu/ac yield vary. All the time single reduce crimson clover with poorer wheat
- Take-all within the wheat crop after long-term hay crop. In areas with additional vitamins, there was grain, however in every single place else, take-all. All gone.
- What about seed wheat? Sprouted…will it make seed? So long as the flap on the tip of the kernel is unbroken, there may be nonetheless some germ there. When you dry it, hold the temp low otherwise you’ll kill it then
- Over-dry wheat? 1 per cent over-dry at 12.5 per cent, you lose 1.1 per cent in weight. At $300/tonne, you gave up over $3/bu
- Lodged early, flat wheat yielded 50 bu/ac vs 100 bu/ac standing. Might have been root lodged
- And WHY did we see a lot lodged wheat? It was dry! June 1 to July 14 climate and the bottom photo-thermal quotient since 2000. Mild to make photosynthate per GDD/warmth unit. It means extra stem reserves and root reserves went into the grain and it flopped over. Or that’s a minimum of half of the rationale.
- Corn pollination time. The 2 weeks prior and after pollination (tassel) we want sunshine. This smoke may influence full pollination.
- Double cobs — just one will make it
- Alert! Alert! Alert! Western bean cutworm. Full traps or within the discipline. It’s lining up with pollination which provides danger to gibberella an infection
- Yellow soybeans, will N pay? Effectively, the problem is added N needs to be taken up by the roots, however the roots aren’t there. They could re-grow and inoculate later
— Mike Pasztor ??????? (@Pasztor79) July 19, 2021