It’s attainable Ontario might set a brand new wheat document for 2021, and that’s saying one thing, as experiences are that many fields are yielding smaller than common seeds.
Additionally this week on Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson tackles if corn will yield double cobs, why that you must be out scouting the soybean cover, and has an motion plan for serving to fellow farmers out west.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to deal with or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s stated? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e-mail him at [email protected]
- Did you promote $8 wheat?
- Mary Simon, our new Governor Normal, is simply so spectacular. 1 in 5 Canadians was not born in Canada
- Farming is a white world, we have to understand that
- Let’s embrace and have a good time range!
- Will we set a brand new wheat document in Ontario? Survey says: it’s attainable
- Excessive 130s, a number of 140s has been confirmed
- 97.5 bu/ac is the standing document
- In the bin, 104 bu/ac, what about 1,000 kernel weight? 29 to 30 g/1000
- What’s “normal”?
- Common TKW — GoCereals.ca has some selection variations. Often, extra like 35 g/1000. Large distinction!
- Double cobs in corn. Will they add to yield? Silks that may make kernels being reported!
- 30,000 and above inhabitants, only a few of these cobs will pollinate. Lack of sunshine goes to have an effect
- Test some cobs — experiences of 12 to 14 rows round vs 16
- What about pods per node in soybeans? Some areas are fairly poor
- Finest trying crops are hardly ever the highest yielding, thoughts you
- SDS exhibiting up, cyst nematode exhibiting up, and seen white mould reported
- Poor wheat doesn’t lodge
- Delayed harvest due to the rain means shelled out/shattered heads, and already beginning to develop. Ugh, that’s no enjoyable.
- Decelerate that reel
- Hay West in some kind is gearing up
- Cattle coming east, hay going west
- Straw is one factor, however ought to we plant some oats for hay for our western mates? Make dry hay!
- Up your seeding charge (go to 40 to 45 kilos of seed) 50 kilos of N minimal, when you don’t harvest it, don’t fear that N will probably be value it (will profit the corn crop subsequent 12 months)
- Poor clover with too many weeds. Do you spray it out and begin over? Sure, if there isn’t any clover. What weeds are there? Get oats on there
- Early planted wheat with a decrease falling number — due to earlier maturity, extra rain, misplaced dormancy early and sprouted
- Low falling number occurs lengthy earlier than precise sprouts
- Check weight and falling number are usually not essentially impacted by the similar factor, so one may be excessive even whereas the different is low
- N deficiency on backside leaves of corn crop? Sand soil, a number of rain means leaching
- Stink bugs in edible beans and IP soybeans, get scouting!