Wheat in Ontario is in grain fill, and meaning scouting for cereal leaf beetle. There’s additionally been loads of rain in sure parched components of the west, but it surely’s too a lot, means too late to avoid wasting the crop.
On this week’s version of Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson discusses some insect alerts, reviews of nutrient deficiencies and what to do about them, plus fields your questions à la Farmer Speedy Fireplace.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e-mail him at [email protected]
- A be aware from Lambton County — put on sunscreen! Farmers’ faces want some safety, too.
- Pre-cancerous and cancerous spots are too widespread on faces. Get these hats on
- Some persons are getting their second vaccine! Get vaccinated should you can, please. We’re virtually there
- Rainfall in Ontario was everywhere in the map
- Rainfall out west was virtually too a lot — and crop costs fell. Guess what? Too late for the wheat crop out west (taking a look at you Murray Froebe)
- Don’t spend any extra money on that crop!
- A smooth purple wheat prepared for harvest in excessive moisture areas and it’s sprouted
- Which is worse, drought or flood?
- Niagara area additionally very, very dry
- Extraordinarily dry in some spots of Jap Ontario, too
- Central Illinois may have the very best crop ever
- Quebec areas, 18 florets x 3-4 kernels per head (150 bu/ac attainable!?)
- Most water demand for wheat is throughout pollination as much as early grain fill. About 1/4 inch of water per day
- What about over 30 levels C throughout grain fill? It’s not good for grain fill, in any respect
- Cereal leaf beetle — what’s the brink? It depends upon timing of head emergence, how a lot grain fill interval is left. Three to 4 larvae per stem, presumably time to manage, however provided that loads of grain fill left
- However do you’ve got oats? Late boot or flag leaf — one per stem warrants management?
- Sure, there’s fusarium within the wheat crop, however not a catastrophe yr, but…
- V5 soybeans, 5 trifoliates, first flower confirmed up! They will flower earlier than June twenty first
- If you may get to V6 earlier than the primary flower, you’re at most yield potential
- Speedy progress syndrome in corn — it’s not a giant deal
- Rotation, rotation, rotation: beans after wheat or after corn, however soy on soy and each acre wants re-sprayed for herbicide
- Hey, we’re off to begin within the south, southwest
- Manganese deficiency in soybeans wants corrected, but when it stays dry you’ll have to use twice. It doesn’t transfer within the plant. You want one thing with at the very least 5 per cent manganese
- Sulphur deficiency in corn is exhibiting up too, the place it’s not an ordinary addition to the fertilizer program
- It’s a dry yr, so preserve scouting for spider mites
- Soybean aphids are out too, simply be certain that to scout nearer to flower, too
- Milkweed that’s immune to glyphosate? Frankly, it’s seemingly simply poor timing of software (have to attend)
- Nutsedge, hogweed inflicting points too
- $25/acre to determine a canopy crop — is it attainable? Perhaps if I broadcast oats and disc in, possibly
- Can I harvest oats this yr and use these for canopy this yr? Sure, however there’s some dormancy, so simply be certain that they dry down first
- If I don’t promote straw (or take away) do I nonetheless want a canopy crop? Dwelling roots are the true purpose, not simply residue
- Cowl crop soybeans, can I preserve some non-GMO soys and plant? Effectively, there are means higher choices and you may run afoul of guidelines. Don’t do it
- Anthracnose in alfalfa exhibiting up. Ship in a pattern to confirm
— martin bourgeault (@martinbourgeau1) June 16, 2021
Nice early progress and growth throughout a lot of #SWOnt. April twenty fifth planted, now over 800chu amassed.
Anticipated pollination~July 15 nice nodal root growth serving to energy via dry intervals as we decide potential kernel rows #ontag pic.twitter.com/Lu08LCmC33
— Matt Chapple (@chapple_mc) June 16, 2021