The climate continues to ship some actual disappointment but in addition hope for farmers throughout Canada.
In Ontario, a late Might frost was dangerous sufficient, however mid-week noticed evening time temps dip low sufficient once more to damage crop on muck soils. Different areas arduous up for moisture received maybe an excessive amount of rain unexpectedly.
For this week’s episode of Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter “Wheat Pete” Johnson tackles the newest on fusarium danger within the wheat crop, why it’s vital to decide deficiency from illness, and what your crop is telling you about your soil.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to deal with or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Go away him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or electronic mail him at [email protected]
- Go Habs Go!
- First week of summer season and it’s sunny and not too scorching — excellent for the wheat crop
- Final Wednesday night, some corn died of frost on a lot soils even when it actually solely went down to 2 or 3 levels
- Some areas of dryness: pastures are shut down and the wheat is white. All dangerous.
- Who’s within the Goldilocks zone this 12 months?
- It could appear that even after some good rain fall there are nonetheless dry and too-dry circumstances in Ontario
- Fusarium displaying up in inclined varieties in trials. Fungicide does make an enormous distinction, for positive, however these inclined traces actually present the worth of up to date genetics
- Fusarium hurts high quality extra so than yield
- Bleached, mild kernels will blow out the again of the mix, however will the fungus unfold to good kernels and trigger DON points?
- Extra lodging within the wheat crop than anticipated, particularly with low rainfall
- Perhaps it means there’s yield there
- Untimely ripening may point out the place the low natural matter areas are. Construct them up!
- That’s what your crop is telling you — pay attention
- 4 kernels per floret, making an attempt to win the YEN competitors? Appears to be like promising
- The nutrient worth of straw in Ontario and the Nice Lakes basin, not the west. Take a look at the video right here.
- It’s all about residue administration and residing roots, not simply natural matter and P and Ok
- A lot of manganese deficiency displaying up. Appropriate it!
- Soybean cyst nematode displaying up. Ensure it’s not a deficiency, first
@WheatPete Good day sir
Rains throughout flowering delayed my fusarium spray time with 3-4 days. Fusarium often will not be an enormous drawback in my area . Ought to I count on massive yield and high quality penalties . Footage made 26 days after my delayed fusarium spray. pic.twitter.com/54nm1HOLSj
— Marian Dumitru (@Dumitru55090396) June 23, 2021