As we strategy the first lengthy weekend of the summer season season, farmers are excited about relaying winter wheat and barley for forage, defending N on dry floor, and skipping a pre-emergent herbicide cross.
As as to whether all (or none) or some of these are good concepts, Peter “Wheat Pete” Johnson has the solutions on this episode of Wheat Pete’s Phrase.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to handle or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e mail him at [email protected]
- Congrats to Peter’s sister!
- Beef business is paying excessive crop costs however isn’t seeing the bump in cattle costs, bear in mind
- Too sizzling in Ontario for wheat
- Winter storm warnings in Western Canada. What the heck?
- There shall be some chilly temps out west, but it surely’ll be high-quality
- Clay soils want warmth to dry out, so this warmth will assist
- Elgin County on sand, wheat is burning up from lack of moisture
- Manitoba, April 7, wheat appears to be like OK! Even that planted deep for moisture
- Yellow banding on wheat? It’s temperature banding! Gained’t damage yield
- FOUR inch deep planted wheat. What occurred? Buried rows with the drill
- Three inches ought to actually be the most
- 150 to 180 corn warmth items in May thus far for Ontario, corn ought to be up
- For each inch of depth you want 50 GDD (for cereals) for emergence
- Sunburned leaves? There are selection variations!
- Physiological fleck will not be a illness
- Winter barley is exhibiting dwarf virus. Aphids final fall unfold it.
- Does dryness change our fungicide timing?
- Wheat’s value cash, however leaf illness stress is low….STOP the insanity. Don’t spray “just in case.” It’s dry!
- Mildew, nonetheless, would possibly want management in inclined varieties or in excessive humidity
- What about N? Do you want an N loss inhibitor with no rain in the forecast? Nicely, if the floor is bone dry, it’s really steady, however a urease inhibitor shall be cash properly spent. Don’t simply add extra N, that’s all unhealthy
- Don’t fear about denitrification risk (so don’t pay for what you don’t want)
- Will pre-emerge herbicides work? Sure! Analysis says 50 to 80% management even with out rain to activate
- It’s nonetheless properly value it!
- Escapes that do occur will nonetheless be simpler to manage
- Fleabane and 2,4-D in soybean pre-emerge program, the risk of yield loss to the beans is decrease than the risk of loss to the fleabane
- Sow thistle is coming again with an excessive amount of time earlier than planting…glyphosate plus tillage will at all times offer you higher management (knock it again) than simply tillage
- Edible beans getting in now? It’s dry! However we have now till the fifteenth of June to plant these edible bean crops. Be affected person
- Winter wheat and forage barley double crop? Will this work? Perhaps, however there are doubtless higher choices, like triticale. Winter wheat isn’t an awesome forage crop