The warnings about tar spot that began a number of years in the past had been, sadly, bang on.
On this week’s episode of Wheat Pete’s Phrase, host Peter Johnson shares some scouting tales from a number of counties the place tar spot has been present in corn, and what farmers will seemingly should plan for in 2022. Additionally on this episode, Johnson discusses why stalk integrity is changing into a problem in corn crops and why some soybean pods are flat, flat, flat.
Have a query you’d like Johnson to deal with or some yield outcomes to ship in? Disagree with one thing he’s mentioned? Depart him a message at 1-888-746-3311, ship him a tweet (@wheatpete), or e mail him at [email protected]
- Wind, hail, rain, and twisters! Damaging maturing crop. Not good
- Even the dry east is getting some rain, however please, maintain the tornadoes that-a-way
- Harvest reviews coming in
- Edible 40 hundred weight/acre
- High quality has additionally been glorious
- 30 tonne corn silage too! Blow your thoughts good
- 240 to 250 bu/ac vary equal (corn)
- Silo fuel alert! The canary in the coal mine is usually a laying hen
- Black layer corn on September 14 in Lambton County
- Subsequent query: how rapidly will it dry down?
- September is commonly heat and may be dry — may lose greater than 0.5% in moisture per day, if the husk is free/open, and circumstances are proper. October extra like 0.3 to 0.4% per day
- Certain may save on drying prices
- Edible bean growers harvested earlier than the rain, very dry beans, increased moisture now. Do you wait to dry in the area or pay for drying?
- Tar spot shifting quickly in some crops
- Corn crops dying backside to high. Is it pre-mature dying? Might it’s N deficiency? May very well be too dry. May very well be stalk rot.
- Begin these push exams!
- Corn on corn and tar spot incidence: inoculum, host, and atmosphere. July 2 to now? Fully useless the place fungicide was not utilized
- Toronto south and west, tar spot is there
- Spore load might be regional, not area particular
- Rotation gained’t prevent on tar spot
- Flat pods in soybeans!
- Hail shattered pods of soybeans and edible beans…going into wheat. Are volunteers going to be a problem? It gained’t damage yield! You’re going to get some N credit score
- Canola hailed out. What’s left of the fertility bundle? Fairly a bit, nonetheless, might be considerably extra vulnerable to losses, N particularly
- Cereal rye to bump up a hay area being taken out subsequent 12 months? Sure, do it